Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Literary Analysis- Characterization

1. Direct Characterization-

  • "The Director of Companies was our captain and our host"
  • "He resembled a pilot, which to seaman is trustworthiness personified"
 Indirect Characterization-
  • "Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea."
  • "'And this also,' said Marlow suddenly, ' has been one of the dark places of the earth."
The author most likely uses both approaches so to not sound repetitive. It's a good way to describe people without just describing them as having blonde hair, and blue eyes, but to have a roundabout way to describe that person. 


2. The author does not seem to make any distinction in his syntax and diction when he focuses on the character.

3. Charles Marlow is both dynamic and a round character. He changes throughout the course of the book. His meeting with Kurtz and his whole journey through the Congo changes him forever. He is also a round character, because we meet him as a character with a full set of qualities and characteristics, he is a round character.

4. I'm not sure how to use a textual reference to show how I feel, but in most books I feel like I come away feeling like I had met the person. Charles Marlow is described pretty well and I feel like I really know who he is. It is fairly easy for me to establish connections with characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment